Everything you've ever wanted to know about bras but didn't know who to ask!
How to measure your bra size: Video Tutorial
Liliana shows us step-by-step and explains how we can measure our bra size at home. Try it yourself if you cannot make it into one of our stores for a professional fitting. This is also a great tool to help you select the correct size when shopping online.
1st measurement is for the band size. In this case it is 37" (in between sizes so will be either 36 or 38). For this example we will choose 36".
2nd measurement is to determine the cup size. In this example it measures 42".
Count the # of band sizes between the 1st measurement and the 2nd. So start at 36, 38, 40, 42 = 4 band sizes. This will tell you how many letters to count, starting with A, B, C, D and so on. So Liliana's bra size would be a 36D.
We are always here for you, so please contact us for any help.
Call us 416-913-7991 or send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I expect from a professional bra-fitting?
Our expert bra-fitting consultants will first take the correct measurements to determine your bra size, and then will ask about individual figure concerns, lifestyle needs and personal style preferences. They will then recommend one bra/style for you to try on, will discreetly check the fit and then give recommendations to help you select the perfect bra wardrobe.
How long does a bra-fitting take?
The entire process can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. A thorough fitting should never be rushed! A comfortable setting is key to a positive bra-fitting experience and our consultants will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at ease. A good bra-fitting should provide knowledge, insight and self-awareness, so that you leave the store looking and feeling your best, thanks to your new bras.
Why is a professional bra-fitting so important?
Statistically 90% of women are wearing the wrong bra size! The breast is not a muscle, it is delicate glandular tissue which, whether large or small, needs to be supported, especially as we age. A properly fitted bra can help reduce back pain and headaches for large breasted women, and can help improve posture, overall appearance and enhance self-esteem for all women. The right undergarments play an important role in helping to enhance how your clothes fit and look on your body.
How often should I have a bra-fitting?
We recommend that you have one every six months to a year. Breast size and shape fluctuates continually throughout our life for many reasons such as diet, weight change, exercise, medications, pregnancy, menopause or illness.
What are the signs that my bra doesn't fit properly?
- You can’t wait to take it off!
- The wires hurt = the band is too small or the bra sits too low on the ribcage.
- The wires poke on the side = a larger band or cup size is needed.
- The middle front rides up away from the body = cups are too small.
- The band rides up = it’s either too big or has lost elasticity.
- The shoulders hurt = more support is needed with a smaller band and larger cups or a style with wider or padded straps.
- Straps fall off the shoulders = they need to be tightened, they have lost elasticity or your shoulders may be sloped, requiring a bra with straps that are closer together at the back.
What is the proper positioning of the breasts?
They should sit mid-way between the shoulder and elbow.
What’s the right way to put on my bra?
Bend forward and ‘wiggle’ breasts into the bra cups.
What benefits does the right bra provide?
- Smooths and shapes breasts, giving a sleeker line to enhance the fit of clothing.
- Supports breasts comfortably, improving posture and helping to ease discomfort from headache and back pain.
- Makes breasts appear smaller, resulting in a taller, leaner appearance for larger women.
- Instantly makes you look like you’ve lost 10 pounds!
- Lifts and supports breasts, giving a more youthful appearance.
- Makes breasts appear larger and fuller, adding shapely curves for smaller women.
Your bra fits perfectly when...
- The band lies straight, around the front and back of the body.
- The center of the bra lies flat against the breastbone, separating the breasts.
- The underwires do not cut or poke into the breast tissue.
- The sides lie smoothly without binding or cutting. If wired – wires don’t hurt.
- The straps support comfortably without slipping off or cutting into the shoulders.
- The cups fit smoothly without wrinkles or any overflow (double boob effect).
- The band is closed at the back on the loosest hook – allowing for use of the tighter hooks as the bra ‘gives’ with wear – which also helps your bra last longer.
What are the ‘7 S’s of a Bra Wardrobe’ and why should I have one?
A bra wardrobe ensures a proper selection of undergarments to enhance different styles of clothing. Similar to a selection of shoes, you need bras that serve different purposes for different occasions, and enhance different styles of clothing.